Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Wee" Quilt Challenge entries



It is again time to see the wee quilts at McDougall Cottage. This year's theme is "Plaid-Vertising"
As always, the quilts must be no larger than 24"x24" and must contain some plaid. More about this challenge and to view my entries for 2007 and 2008 can be found here.
The past 2 years I have done what would be referred to as pictorial pieces but this year I decided to do something a little different. While admittedly neither is all that pretty to look at, I hope the viewer will find them interesting. This first one, titled Tartan Delight is my version of a tartan I created by machine piecing several colours, along with computer printed plaids and then hand stitched yarn ending in a beaded fringe. ( there are a few beads made with the plaid fabric as well) Transferred photos of products and services reminiscent of Scottish life are featured.

The second is titled Plaids behind the Ads and is actually a classified page from the Herald. A few ads were removed so that the plaid fabric was allowed to show throw. Some of these ads make for entertaining reading, one asks you to take a dog to lunch, while another is an advertisement for tank driving lessons. This piece stemmed from me wanting to know if you could quilt a newspaper (which I did quite extensively). The binding on this one has the text Plaid-versting repeated in several spots.
The show runs until Labour Day so if you are in the Cambridge area stop by the beautiful stone cottage and take a peak.

9 comments:

Jocey said...

What do you mean its not pretty to look at. Absolutely love the way you did the black stitching on top.. I will have to steal that idea.

Nadine said...

I think you underestimate both of these quilts! I think they're both wonderful quilts, and so creative and obviously made with much talent, inspiration and love. I wish I could see them in person.

I plan to keep track of that stitching idea from the first as well! Awesome, and just the perfect touch!

Micki said...

The quilts are so creative and so unique! I love them!
Micki

Diane J. Evans said...

I LOVE "Tartan Delight." How clever and creative! You do a nice job meeting these challenges!

Diane

Mary-Kay said...

Both of your quilts are awesome. I can't decide which I like better. Did you really quilt on newspaper or did you print it on fabric? It's a very interesting idea.

Quilt Rat said...

Thanks. to answer.......Yes it really is newspaper.(from Scotland of course) I placed a layer of tulle over the paper, with fabric under it and just treated it as I would the top layer of any quilt. I used clear nylon thread so as not to obscure the text.

L. jane E. said...

I totally disagree on the "pretty to look at" bit. I actually quite like the first one. I'd display it.

L. jane E. said...

PS. The "plaid behind the ads" is very interesting. I like it.

*karendianne. said...

So completely fearless with your creativity. I dig it.

Copyright Jill Buckley