Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Prompt #41 & Finding Design Inspration.



Prompt # 41 is Core. Each week I try to do something that I think might be a little different or unexpected with my CPP prompt responses........ but this week, as you can see, I could not resist temptation.

I am working toward designing a whole cloth quilt. I am just playing with various ideas at this point and not wanting to use motifs that can be found in quilt books, I thought I'd look about for inspiration. There are designs everywhere you look. My oak press back chairs have wonderful scroll work, as do these trivets, great decoration can be found on old sewing machines, furniture, jewelry and on this old FireKing glass pie plate.




I did some sketches of what I saw, simplifying them where necessary. I then scanned my drawings, enlarged, print and cut them out. By cutting several of each image you can play with how they might look as part of a quilt design.




Here is an example of what this exercise yielded.

9 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love the cut out components---what a good way to get to visualize a whole cloth. I have a purchased preprinted one....it got about two feet quilted and that was that. I couldn't take it due to putting in a batt made from---I'm pretty sure---cast iron. So someday, I will machine quilt it.
Love the *core* and the *temptation* of doing it!!! ;)
Good luck with the whole cloth!

XXOO!!
Anne

Anonymous said...

You know I just love to see your artwork and this is why I come on over to your blog for a visit. The *core is perfect!

Jaye said...

Fabulous! I just love your most recent response! Keep up the good work and thanks for participating. I really love the leaf you included.

Clare Wassermann said...

Hah fancy that I've spent the evening cogitating on a quilt motif - you've given me some ideas to play with x

Diane J. Evans said...

What a great idea: cutting out motifs to play with BEFORE the quilting! Usually, after I've finished figuring out the designs, I cut them out of freezer paper, iron them to the quilt top, and trace around them to give me quilting lines. Your method will help so much with visualization AHEAD of time. Terrific!

Diane

Debra Dixon said...

I see a book in your future!

Sharon said...

I think this is a great idea. If you look at old quilts, you can see that many of them used just such items for their quilting motifs. I really like the idea of cutting out the components and playing with positioning them on the fabric. . . that's brilliant!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Awesome, again. How do you continually top yourself? Love your designs and will look forward to seeing the beautiful quilt you will make using them.

Kim said...

Your stuff just fascinates me.....
I can't wait to see what your whole cloth quilt looks like.

Copyright Jill Buckley