Saturday, February 13, 2010

I am INSPIRED!........but not to Doodle


Yesterday, I attended a workshop conducted by Rosemary Makhan who led us through a wonderful day of learning her applique method. Those of you who are regular readers know that not only do I rarely work with someone else's patterns, I generally am not a flowery type quilter. That just might all change after the last couple of days.
Seeing Rosemary's work on her web site is one thing but seeing it up close and personal is entirely different. I don't think you can look at her amazing work and not be inspired. We were treated to her trunk show at guild on Thursday evening .....each time you thought it could not possibly get any better another spectacular quilt emerged. If you ever have a chance to take a class with Rosemary, take my advice, do NOT pass up the opportunity.
My last post showed how I was preparing for this class beginning with my little mock up of the block I would be working on. Well here is my full size block (see the little one in the lower left corner) now ready for needle and thread.
My fabric choices are based on the fact that when the bunnies visit my garden (usually to nibble my favourite plants) it is early morning, so I wanted this piece to have that dappled sun effect.

I have not really been in a doodling mood lately, but I did do this sewing bird for prompt word #52 Sterling Although my antique sewing bird is actually brass there were a few made in Sterling silver.
Prompt word #53 is Magnify........and well, I just thought the one I did for #23 Look worked so well that I decided not to doodle another.

Okay time to thread a needle and see how long it's going to take to achieve those incredibly fine stitches I admired in Rosemary's quilts.

7 comments:

Sherri said...

I NEVER get tired of seeing what you'll draw next! Your experience with that class sounds great! It almost makes me think I want to try a class someday! lol

cottonreel said...

Love those sewing machines, I haven,t visited you for a while , nice to drop by again-----------------cottonreel

Anonymous said...

You inspire me! (to come back time and time again to see your art work!) I hope you don't stop doodling because I absolutely love your artwork and the bird....wonderful! Those would look fantastic framed!! I think I told you that before.
I'm envious of anybody who can tackle applique...I bet you're a pro!

Karen S said...

Is this hand applique needle turned?
I see that you ditched the frog and I like that the rabbit is a rabbit, not a bunny (they eat my favorite flowers too). Sometimes it's good to step into someone else's box for inspiration.

Diane J. Evans said...

I always love the way you think outside the box -- the fabrics you chose for this applique piece make me smile. And your drawings always send me to my sketch pad. Thanks for so much inspiration!

Diane

Bunny said...

First of all your drawings are totally amazing just love your talent. I also have had the pleasure to be in one of Rosmary's classes. I have decided that I am not an applique person LOL. I did however love her Woodland Creature quilts so I made mine in all embroidery designs. It is on my blog if you want to see it. My header is part of it. Enjoy her class she is a wonderful teacher and her quilts are amazing.

Sherri said...

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Sewing_and_Quilting___Victorian_Sewing_Bird___1085450?Args=

Who knew????!!!!!

Copyright Jill Buckley