Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Making a Cling-On

I had picked up a few unmounted rubber stamps recently and wanted to make them usable with my clear acrylic blocks, but a rubber stamp doesn't stick to them the way the "cling mount" types do. Instead of going out to purchase a special product made for this purpose, I thought I'd see what I had on hand to do the job.
I dug out this roll of window film and some double sided tape.I applied the tape to the back of the stamp, laid a piece of the window film, non-sticky side down and pressed it firmly in place.
I then trimmed the film very close to the edge of the stamp and removed the backing paper. It can now be used with an acrylic block, removed and repositioned over and over.Here is a piece of fabric I went a little stamp crazy on.
I rinsed the stamp clean, left it to dry and found that it did retain it's "stickiness"
A piece of that same window film serves as a sheet to store my stamps on as well. This will make them easy to store and organize. (actually a plain piece of clear vinyl also works really well to store them on )

9 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Okay, now I have to venture out into the HEAT to get the goods to try this, as I have NUMEROUS unmounted stamps and hate mounting them to foam, then whatever.....
You need to CLONE yourself, then patent that!
Totally ROCK girl!

XXOO~~
Anne

Robbie said...

Clever, clever lady!!

Debbie said...

I love the overstamped crazy fabric! It is so neat. I don't have any stamps, but may have to try this.

Amelia Rose said...

Very clever!! What type and brand of ink do you find works the best for you?

Createology said...

Great clever make-do. Always interesting what we can come up to solve our creative challenges. Sunshine Summer Smiles to you...

Royce said...

Wonderful idea. I'd love the remove all my wood mounted stamps but didn't know where to go next - thanks.

Kim said...

Yes I'd like to know too what brand of ink do you use on fabric and how do you "set" the ink?
I love the way your very clever brain works.

Happy Sewing

Quilt Rat said...

I have had pretty good luck heat setting inks.......but remember, you can also stamp with inks and paints made specifically to work on fabric as well.

Diane J. Evans said...

They say "creativity is the mother of invention," and I think that YOUR creativity could produce a whole family of inventive products. Love the way your mind works (have I said that before?).

Diane

Copyright Jill Buckley