Thursday, November 24, 2011

My most recent article

The Winter issue of The Canadian Quilter is currently showing up in quilters mailboxes across the country and contains my second article as CQA's Artist in Residence. This article is about creating quilted postcards, and while I do give instructions, hints and tips in making these little works, I also point out that they don't necessarily have to be made with fabrics. Unfortunately some of the text got omitted alongside the photos, so I thought I would take this opportunity to share with you what materials were used in constructing the top layer of some of the cards shown.

This first one was made using a painted paper towel (heavily stitched) which was then embellished with rubber stamping, a few fabric scraps, beads and bits of broken costume jewelry.
This one, is again, paper toweling that had been painted, rubber stamped and stitched.LinkThis is one of my favourites. It is just so simple, a plain brown paper bag (I think it was from the liquor store) was stamped and stitched. Selvage edges, buttons and a small safety pin finishes the look.
and these? well they are nothing more than pre-printed paper napkins found at the dollar store. Lots of stitching was applied to make some of the areas really stand out.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

congrats on your appointment. I like your postcard ideas. i'll look for the magazine.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Congrats Jill! These are all wonderful looking cards.

Jackie said...

I am so glad you wrote that in your blog... I was wondering... they are just gorgeous. I love the napkin idea!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

congrats, nice work Jill!

Createology said...

Congratulations on your article publication. I am sorry they omitted some of your text. Your postcards are so clever and stunning. Thank you for clearing the info...

Mary Couch said...

I wish I could get the magazine, but, alas am not a Canadian quilter. However, I have been dabbling in the quilted postcard arena. I recently used a double needle to free motion pine boughs. I used two different colors of green. It worked! I love the paper towel idea... so beautiful.
Thanks for sharing,
Mary

Royce said...

Love your post cards they are a favorite of mine to make too. I also just got around to reading your post on the embossed metal from a can and just LOVE what you did with that. As always a great inspiration. I always enjoy your blog so much. Congrats on the article too.

Copyright Jill Buckley