Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Samples and something different

I have been asked by my guild, to conduct a machine quilting workshop, I did one a few years ago and it was actually a lot of fun. Workshop day is fast approaching and I understand that quilters of all skill levels have signed up, so I have been busy working on getting prepared for it, as I hope to have something of interest for all. (from beginner to the more experienced) Maybe some cool tips and tricks to share.
This workshop benefits our outreach program, instead of having to "pay" to attend, participants will work on and complete quilts destined to be given to children at the Children's Aid Society.

............and now for something completely different.........A couple of months ago, I picked up this cute little loom at a vintage/antique/nostalgia show. I have no idea what I am doing, but am always intrigued to try something new. This is how I found it (actually is was folded flat in the box.) this little loom measures a mere 14" long by 11" wide by 11" tallLooks like someone had started to "warp" it with string, I removed that stuff and replaced it with about 4 yard lengths of this brightly coloured thread/yarn. I don't expect to be able to do much with this set-up, but I plan to have fun "experimenting" with possibilities. As you can see, I began doing a very basic weave to start with. I think it might be fun to try selvage edges, maybe some unconventional materials?

5 comments:

Robbie said...

What a great way to support outreach! And folks can learn at the same time! I know you'll come up with something on the loom!! How cool is that!

Clare Wassermann said...

I have some small German looms from Steiner education. I bought them for my daughter originally but I have saved them and think I'll have a go at cloth weaving too.

Unknown said...

That little loom is precious!

Sherri said...

That size loom makes great straps for bags, belts, and other straps or embellishment strips to sew on garments.
And I now know I can blame YOU for ME being asked to do a beginning machine quilting class for my guild!
We gotta stop meeting like this! lol

tich said...

I have just bought a little weaving loom like yours off Ebay, and remember that you posted about it a while ago. My loom does not have a heddle in the front and wonder if you know where I could obtain one, as your yellow heddle looks as if it was added at a later date? I thought you might have some contacts who might know, if you did not. i have tried an internet search, with no results. Thanks in advance. BTW I don't post often, but LOVE your site.

Copyright Jill Buckley