Saturday, November 17, 2012

Cutting Paper Snowflakes

Edit:  Video added

I am often asked about my paper cuts, many of you would like to know how I go about doing them.

I begin with a piece of paper that measures 12" x 12" which is then folded......there are several sites that show how to create paper snowflakes, you can see the folding steps here


Fold (you will notice in the following photos that the excess at the top gets cut away)
 I then draw the image I want to repeat. It will need to fit onto one section of the folded paper
 I unfold the paper and using a light box, transfer the image onto one section, then refold.

 I use a set of mirrors to see exactly what I will get once I have finished cutting

The tools I use
 
Staples hold the layers tightly together, punched holes allow for easier maneuvering of the scissors.

Now, I am ready to make those cuts, small sharp scissors are an absolute must!

More cuts are made...... notice that I am cutting so that I always have something solid to hold on to.

I am showing you lots of photos so you can see that I "plan" each cut


Cutting is complete

Carefully unfold. It is delicate and must be handled gently


Once I have it unfolded, I use a dry iron to press it flat. This one has 12 sections and is made up of birds and bees. Whatever you choose to draw, you need to be sure that everything is "connected" otherwise it will all just fall apart.

Here is a video of the whole process


Below is a sampling of some other themed papercuts I have created using this same method.


Even though I had been designing this way, it had not occurred to me to cut snowflakes until I had taken a workshop conducted by Kathy K Wylie.....she takes "snowflakes"to a whole other level.
If you seriously wish to create your own unique snowflakes and want to learn how to translate them into fabric, I suggest you get yourself a copy of Kathy K Wylie's book, Sewflakes


19 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

Thank you! They are sooo lovely, must get my scissors sharpened.

Sundays Child said...

Have you tried this:

http://snowflakes.barkleyus.com/

Don't start .. I've warned you, it's addictive! lol

Julie Andrea

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such beautiful flakes. You are very talented.

Unknown said...

You know I love your paper cut medallions - they leave me speechless

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

OH--MY--GOSH!!!
These are utterly amazing.
And I think I'm doing good when I can cut a snowflake and not chop off a big section, or cut myself in the process....
Absolutely beautiful. :-)

XXOO~~
Anne

Diane J. Evans said...

You create great tutorials, Jill -- so easy to follow. I'm just about to design a "reflecting" quilt, and you've emboldened me to try doing one with 12 sections. Let's make a wish together for success . . .

Diane

Robbie said...

You are so kind! I did purchase Kathy's book but haven't tried it yet! I was on my 'to do list' for Florida last year when you posted about snowflakes! I forgot about it!!!! Now I have a stickie not in my art journal I take with me to Florida! Maybe I'll remember this year!!!

Borderline Quilter said...

Beautiful Jill but you know me, I see a birds and the bees wholecloth....lol...

Best Wishes

Kay in Scotland

Sherri said...

I wonder if these could be done in needle turn appliqué or because of the points and corners, it would have to be done in reverse appliqué? Or raw edge appliqué?

So pretty though.....so very pretty! :D

Denise :) said...

Oh I love this!!! Thanks for sharing ... in turn, I'm going to share with my little grandson! :)

Jackie said...

I think I am now going to have to try one... and show off... article already in!!! Every time you do that=)LOL

Createology said...

Oh My Goodness this is amazing to see your process. I never would have even guessed how you do these cuttings. Lovely end results. Thank you so much for sharing. Blissful dear...

Joan said...

That was great Jill - I actually tried this one tonight... miserable effort. Paper too thick and scissors not small enough and I cut half off ... LOL Its up on my blog :) Yours are beautiful!! and thank you for sharing how you did it.

Carrie P. said...

wow! those are really neat.

Anonymous said...

These are just gorgeous! Thanks for the tute on how to make them!!!

Anna said...

Wonderfully skilled cutting, amazing!

Zizophora said...

Thank you so much for sharing your technique! I've long wondered how you cut such wonderful, intricate designs. Punching holes is genius.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Fantastic!

Unknown said...

I am in LOVE with your birds and bees design and would like to use it as my company logo with your permission. I am a Mental Health counselor with a PhD in Psychology, so I only do good things that help people. Please tell he how we can make this happen.

Take Care,
Dr. Chelsie Reed

Copyright Jill Buckley