Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fold - Stitch - Dye

Last week, I decided to try something different. Did I have a clue what I was doing? absolutely not....never let that stop me, not knowing exactly what will happen IS what makes it FUN!
I took a piece of cotton and folded it just like I do the paper for making those papercut snowflakes. What I did then, was thread a needle with heavy thread (jean's thread actually) then I randomly began stitching through all those layers, pulling it all up good and tight, creating lots of deep creases.



Soaked the piece in a soda ash solution and then placed it in a ziplock bag with some dye


After, batching, rinsing, removing the stitching and unfolding......this is what I got.
 


Not fabulous, but interesting all the same. I think I know where I may have gone wrong and will definitely try this again.............got a little "ink blot" thing happening  :-)



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be on to something there!

Karen said...

Way Cool!!!!

Charlotte Scott said...

Waddaya mean 'not fabulous'? I think that is REALLY fabulous. I've just been reading a book on Shibori and the grid type folding doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as the symmetry of what you've just done. Neat!

Nic said...

That is really cool! Even if it's not quite what you were after. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing one that you ARE happy with :)

Lynette said...

Whoa! That *is* really cool. :D Will be fun watching your adventure in snowflake dying.

Brenda said...

Very cool!

Helimo said...

I think this was a great first try...;)

Quilt Rat said...

I try to answer everyone who comments but sometimes that is just not possible. If you have your settings as "no-reply" I am unable to reply by email.
So if you do not hear from me that may be why.

I am not ignoring you, I do appreciate everyone who takes the time to comment.

What I do not know, is, if I respond here, do you get the message? If you do, could you contact me and let me know.....thanks!

landscapelady said...

I love how it came out, thank you for sharing the process - great idea. I dont seem to have the time to do all the experimenting I would like but at least I can live vicariously thru your journey.

Joanne said...

It sure is fabulous!!! Thanks for inspiring.

Jackie said...

Seriously, you actually made a fantastic pattern! There really is nothing you can't do... everything you touch turns out symetrical.... love it=)

Robbie said...

And to think I took an online mandala class to learn this! Could have just gave you the challenge! Your piece is amazing and your technique is SO close to what we did!! Wonderful!

Joan said...

That is so interesting. Do you rinse it in anything after to set it?

Denise :) said...

How COOL this is!! This makes me want to try it out for sure!! :)

Kim said...

How interesting.......and of course it was wonderful to see how you make your fabulous paper cuttings. They are simply amazing. Can you show us the scissors you use to do the cutting, they must be very sharp and how do you keep them that way cutting paper? I thought that dulled scissors?

Happy Sewing and Merry Christmas

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

oh, yes!! we will certainly try this is our next dye play day, thank you from "Fyber Cafe" textile group

Copyright Jill Buckley