Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dyeing Threads

Besides experimenting with snow dyeing fabric, I also snow- dyed some threads recently.
I first mixed the dye into the snow....kinda like making snow cones.

I created some"skeins"
Then I placed the coloured snow on top of my thread. Up until now, I had been letting everything sit in the soup once the snow melts, but this time, I pulled 3 of the skeins out as soon as all of the snow melted and then, stirred the soup, leaving one skein to soak in it. The others were placed in plastic bags to continue batching. 

I rinsed the skeins but did not want to toss them in to the washer, so once I was fairly certain I had removed any excess dye, I placed them all into a bath with a few drops of Retayne. The towel I left them to dry on did not have any staining so I am confident that the dyes are set.


I LOVE the colour variations I was able to achieve here.



 Below,is a look at what the "soup"  gave me.

 

I see some hand stitching in my near future

7 comments:

Sherri said...

I would never have thought to dye something I might crochet with! But then I would never have tried zentangling things in my creative prompts or cutting paper into more than simple snowflakes.

Like Glenda asked Dorothy, "Are you a good witch or a bad one?"

Are you a good influence or a bad one Jill? Hmmmm :D

Needled Mom said...

Those look awesome. Great job.

Joan said...

Looks intriguing Jill - unusual colours.

Nic said...

Looks like fun. Look forward to see what else comes out of the thread-dyeing pot

Calicojoan said...

1162Excellent results. Hummmm it did snow here last night! I just might have to play...

Createology said...

The snow dying effects are beautiful. It is nice to see a good use for snow...other than water table benefits. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Anonymous said...

These came out beautifully! I love all the exploring you're doing using dye!!! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!!!

Copyright Jill Buckley