Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Going to Seed......continued

This is what I did to the pieces of wool to get a subtle, gradated look. I simply used some fabric paint and a sponge. I applied a darker shade of colour at what would be closest to the center and worked out to a lighter shade. I did this before cutting any of it into the final shapes.


Below, are some closeup shots to show details of the stitching. In order to keep the piece looking slightly darker and deeper at the center, I used progressively darker threads from center out with all of those tiny seed stitches.  Yes, it was a LOT of hand stitching but together with the paint, it definitely gave it the desired effect.



 those little raised, wool circles are about a 1/4" across in size and were cut using a paper holepunch

I created templates from paper wherever I needed to be able to apply elements, to ensure they all ended up in the same spot on each of the pieces.



Only the background and binding on this quilt is machine stitched, everything else is done entirely by hand...............sure is a good thing I enjoy hand stitching  :-)


16 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Thank you for sharing your process...so much detail:) I have to say hand stitching is my preferred method as I find it very restful and contemplative.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Gorgeous work of art.

Anna said...

So lovely to see your work close up, what fabulous stitching, it's a beautiful work of art, you must be very pleased and proud I hope!

Diane J. Evans said...

This quilt should have received much more than an honorable mention, Jill -- the work is exquisite and the concept original and thought-provoking. What a magnificent piece of art!

Diane

Robbie said...

Oh, thank you so much for the detail shots! This piece is even more amazing seeing it close up!!! I'd love to see it in person!! Another beautiful piece, Jill!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome follow up! So the hole punches go through wool? I may have to try that! I haven't had luck punching though something. Can't remember what it was though... LOL!

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Everything about this is wonderful! Brava!

Joan said...

what an inspiring and creative piece! loved seeing the close-ups of that exquisite hand stitching.

Cath said...

Thank you for sharing the details in this piece. They're stunning!

Quilt Rat said...

I try to personally reply to each comment but that is not always possible, especially when many of the comments come from "no-reply" bloggers.

So....I just want to say that I do appreciate each and every comment left for me....thanks so much for all of your wonderful comments. I absolutely loved working on this quilt and am very pleased with how it turned out

Createology said...

Congratulations Jill. Your work is beyond stunning. Thank you for sharing your process. I find your work has a depth and intricacy that really draws me in. I am in awe of your creative talent! Happy Hearts are Creative Hearts...

Nic said...

The more you show us, the more impressed I am. Your love, and obvious experience, of hand work shows

tich said...

I agree with Diane- the judges didn't recognise talent when they saw it! Honerable mention my foot!! Wonderful piece of art! Fantastic work!

Royce said...

I started embracing hand work several years ago. I really enjoy it too, kind of zen. I love this quilt it's just beautiful and the background quilting is crazy good.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Absolutely stunning. Bravo!!!

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

Oh my! I am in awe of the work you have done!

Copyright Jill Buckley