Monday, April 22, 2013

Grand National Quilt show 2013

Yesterday, the Grand National Quilt show "Local Colour" held it's opening reception at Homer Watson Gallery in Kitchener, ON. This is one of the few shows that I enter and was delighted to have been able to attend.

this photo was snagged from the Homer Watson Gallery's Facebook page
Have you ever worked on a piece for so long that you are no longer seeing the visual impact you once thought the work had?  That happened to me on this one, after spending hours and hours with this right under my nose, meticulously hand stitching wool to cotton, I suddenly was no longer certain it had visual appeal. Well, when I walked into the Gallery and with fresh eyes, saw this piece so beautifully displayed, I realized that it did indeed have the impact and presence I was striving for.


This piece is titled "Going to Seed". The Grand National Quilt show attracts works from some of the very best Canadian textile artists right across the country, it is a fabulous feeling to see your work hang among them so I am especially thrilled that Going to Seed received an honourable mention.

The show runs until June 23rd, if you are in the region, I hope you will take it in.....there are 3 rooms whose walls are filled with incredibly inspiring works.

Over the next few posts I will show how this piece evolved, it is made up almost entirely from items garnered at rummage sales and thrift shops. Until then, here are a couple of detail shots



29 comments:

Karen S said...

This is beautiful -- I love he 3D effect the wool on cotton provides. Congratulations!

Ineke said...

Very, very nice piece!!

Lynette said...

Wow! It's very stunning. Congratulations both on being in the show and the honorable mention! I especially love the origins of your materials. Can't wait to read further posts about it.

The Inside Stori said...

If I'd been judging....it would have been awarded a BLUE Ribbon!!! It's fabulous!

Robbie said...

What a beautiful piece!!!! Your work is always amazing and this certainly shows that!

Royce said...

oh big congrats! it's just stunning. Can't wait to see the behind the seams on how it was made.

Unknown said...

Just beautiful! Very impressive. You not only are a skilled artist, but obviously very patient and determined. Wonderful work.

Borderline Quilter said...

Wow it's Fabulous Jill, can't wait to see and hear more about it, the definition in the fabrics and quilting is outstanding. You have always been one of my biggest inspirations!

chris said...

Wish I could see it in the flesh - truly lovely - congratulations.

Mary Ann Tate said...

Just beautiful:)

Kim said...

Oh my, how beautiful. Congratulations on your honorable mention. The quilting looks amazing, I'll look forward to learning more about this gorgeous piece of work.

Happy Sewing

Carli The Quilter said...

Jill, I do know what you mean about so long on a project the visual impact is off key. I too feel very much like that with my current project the Smithers Centennial Quilt.
Love you work, its so refreshing!

What Comes Next? said...

gorgeous! Congratulations on your ribbon

Nic said...

Wow! This quilt is stunning. Looking forward to your posts on it's construction

Charlotte Scott said...

It sure draws your eye down there at the end of the room and the close ups are even better. Looking forward to your construction posts. Congrats on your honourable mention.

tich said...

Fabulous work as usual!!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This is an amazing work of art, stunning and majestic.

helen-mary said...

Jill, that sure is a beautiful piece. Nice work.

Margarita Korioth said...

It is gorgeous!!

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's gorgeous! Congrats!

landscapelady said...

Look how striking it is from far away! Just gorgeous. I can see a lot of hours in all that hand work. I too have wool that I have "harvested" and felted and am someday going to do a project along the lines of yours, only not so grand. I'd never tought of the wool on a cotton back. I'm looking forward to future posts on your process as I have many questions on the cotton/wool marriage. I do! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is sooooo visually stunning! I love fiber art, and this is the perfect demonstration of it! Awesome work!!! Congrats and a fabulous piece!

Jackie said...

You rock Jill!

Jackie said...

oh and I am facebooking your blog right now!!!

Watercolour and Textile Artist, Eileen Gidman said...

It has a lot of strength. I am curious what your inspiration for the design was?

Clare Wassermann said...

That is a totally and utterly stunning piece of work xxxxxxxxx

Patsy said...

Wow..the texture/dimension of this piece are fabulous. Makes me want to reach through the computer screen to touch it. Absolutely stunning!

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, the detail works is impeccable. You should be extremely proud of this piece of work.

Copyright Jill Buckley