Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pattern Testing for Terri Stegmiller

Paws in the Garden by Terri Stegmiller
I have long been a fan of Terri Stegmiller's work, Terri is a fabulous artist, author, designer, and quilter with a very distinctive style. Recently she put out a call looking for several quilters willing to "test" one of her new patterns. I waved my hand in the air yelling pick me...pick ME!!! and she did.
By having several different people make up her design/pattern, Terri is hoping that quilters will be able to see just how varied these designs can look depending upon the technique(s) used.
The quilt pictured on the right is Terri's version of her design.

I think this is wonderful, you can purchase the file from her Etsy shop, download and print it. There are registration marks on each page so that you know where to trim and how it all fits. Tape the trimmed, printed pages together and you have a full size pattern ready to work with.

Now, this is the fun part....YOU decide how you want to create your quilt. There are no "instructions"....you are not being told what to do step by step...it is your quilt and you are making all the decisions from this point on.
You can do the marvelous stitch and paint technique that Terri is known for, or anything else you prefer.....you work in the style, method and colours you want. I decided to use a fast fusible applique method in a very graphic combination of blacks, whites, and greys with lime green for a little punch

Most of you are likely aware that I do not generally work with patterns, I don't tend to do another artists designs, but I was thrilled to be a part of this exercise and it was such a fun challenge for myself.  I hope you enjoy seeing these photos of this quilt from start to completion.

The PDF file fresh from my printer  (I did number each page to be sure I wouldn't get mixed up)

here it is all taped together

Since, I planned to use a fused, raw edge applique technique, I needed to work from the reverse side, I simply flipped the pattern over and traced the lines onto the back of the paper

I identified, numbered, and traced each piece onto paperbacked fusible web, selected my fabrics, fused the shapes and cut them out, here, all of the design elements are assembled

Next I laid the background fabric on top of the pattern and began fusing the pieces in place, starting with the pieces that would appear farthest back and moving to the foreground    (recognize that green polka dot fabric?)

everything is fused and I am ready to move on to the next step. I batted and backed this piece and then had fun with the quilting

...oh....and I DID have fun with the quilting.......a kitty with feathers?

Ta da! the finished quilt....Paws in the Garden.....a Terri Stegmiller design,...the "Quilt Rat" version.

what about you? how would you use this design? What technique would you use? what colours?
I am so looking forward to seeing what the others will do with this whimsical design. Be sure to pop over to Terri's blog and see all the amazing things that oh so talented and clever girl has on the go.

Linking up to Nina-Marie's  Off the Wall Fridays......grab a cuppa and join the fun...wonderful things are happening all over  blog-land



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her design, and I love the colors you used. Nice job!

Robbie said...

Adorable! I'm sure Terri's sales for this pattern will go up, up, up after folks see your 'idea'!! Between you and Terri folks will be buzzing with copying or coming up with their own!!! Just wonderful!

Jackie said...

So sweet, love your colour choices.

Createology said...

The minute you said lime green I knew your polka dot fabric would be in it. Love love love your version of "Paws in the Garden. Kitty-rific! Terri really knows how to share the fun of her designs. Blissfully Creative Dear...

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

What a fun take on the pattern. Love the black and white kitties, and the lime green in the flowers really makes it pop!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh wow! That turned out sooooooo cool! I looooooove the black and green together. Awesome!

What Comes Next? said...

I really like Terri's style, and I love how you've interpreted it - fabulous fabric choices and wonderful quilting.

MarveLes Art Studios said...

it's DARLING! sweet choice of fabrics, and the texture you've created is a delight to the senses! i too, am/have been a fan of terri's TERRIFIC designs! you did a fabulous job on the pattern, and the freedom and creativity you've applied is just super! so glad to have found your blog, through that comment on terri's blog!

Renate said...

I have also followed Terri's blog and was waiting to see what you testers came up with. Thus far, I like both that are pictured on her blog, but I most enjoy your colour selection. And of course who can go wrong with kitties?

LA Paylor said...

Good on you! This is fabulous, and different from hers. Your cats have a ton of personality and I am glad to note you used a neutral like LIME.
LeeAnna Paylor
leeannaquilts@gmail.com

Linda M said...

Great color combo.

Snoodles said...

Love your version of this fun pattern! I'm coming along on mine at a tortoise-pace, but I'm gonna get it done!

quiltedfabricart said...

I love it! She has a very distinct style and I like the idea if just selling the pattern with no instructions which is what takes so much time . Thanks for sharing

marsha said...

cool- I am testing her other pattern!!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Diane J. Evans said...

I knew that you were the maker of this quilt before I even saw your name under its picture -- it has "Jill" written all over it. What perfect touches you gave to an already wonderfully whimsical quilt design. No wonder Terri is so excited.

Diane

Margaret Applin said...

This came out great and love the colors!!

Margaret Applin said...

This came out great and love the colors!!

KaHolly said...

Your choice of fabrics is perfect. I am just loving this.

Copyright Jill Buckley